Posted on | May 27, 2009 | 2 Comments
Our preview pack of these arrived late last week and as you can imagine, we were very keen to try them.The experts at Smashbox say
Our new long-wearing lip gloss gives you nonstop gorgeous color and shine for up to 6 hours, while SPF 15 protects your pout. The luxurious formula with vitamins A, C & E and sea kale revitalizes and nourishes lips for a silky-smooth texture that’s never tacky or dry. Specially contoured velour wand gives you a precise and comfortable one-coat application.
The first thing that we noticed was the colours – and, most importantly, how the colour swatches we have, as shown on the Smashbox website above, really do look like the colour on your lips. Much more so than the lipgloss looks in the wand, so please don’t be alarmed when you pull out ‘Non Stop’ and look at a rather neon pink glitter. The colour on the lips is actually exactly the shade in the swatch. A beautiful high sheen crushed raspberry shade, with enough pigment to look dressy enough for night time but sheer enough to look perfect for day.
So what is different about them?
Smashbox say they are long wearing and we think that is definitely true. Using the food and drink and length of time method (first set out in my preview of Smashbox O-Gloss), I applied at 10.30am and have managed to consume a bowl of Alpen and a mug of coffee (well this was Sunday morning – late breakfast is allowed) and at 1.30pm I still have a beautiful (talking about the lip colour here not me… ) sheer cool pink lip colour (a natural tint now rather than the deeper raspberry on first application) with a very definite light silvery sheen in the middle of the bottom lip. In addition, the lipgloss has softened and faded across the entirety of the lips so you are not left with any harsh outline or edges on the lips as you can sometimes get with long wearing lipsticks.
The texture is very similar to Smashbox O-Gloss or to the new Smashbox Reflective Lip Shine, when you apply it feels like a gloss but with a definite non-sticky feel. It feels more creamy than glossy and yet it looks high shine on the lips. As it wears though it softens into a balm like texture. You can definitely feel it on your lips but is simply feels like a moisturising lip product than a gloss. It certainly isn’t a ‘glassy-gloss’ lacquer finish – for that we would recommend our fantastic new Tallulah range this is a gloss that will appeal to all ages – and for those ladies who thought gloss was ‘too young’ for them – yes… the ones I chat to on the phone you are never too old for this kind of product – it will soften fine lines and give a beautiful natural shimmer – reapply for depth of colour.
The applicator is a velour wand tip, with a longer length bud to it; those of you who have tried the Smashbox Muse lip paints will recognise the tip. The additional length makes it easier to apply and the precision tip lets you get right to the corners of the mouth to give a plumper look to the lip.
And the colours – well, as we have already said, the colour swatches are true to shade. There are many colours of lipstick that don’t suit me – however with these lipglosses, there are none which I wouldn’t happily wear – they are universal shades, and although you will find one, two or three (or more) that are your perfect colour, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if you don’t come back for more.
- Eternity - this is the colour for the natural, tanned look – a beautiful golden bronze shimmer, the colour of old gold which blends with your natural lip colour for a warm healthy golden shimmer
- Non Stop - crushed raspberry mixed with shimmer – as pink as you like without being in any way harsh or unnatural; a bright stain of crushed raspberry which gradually fades down to a natural pink sheen shot through with silver
- Endless – oh my – another absolute winner. This is my classy lip look. You know the one when you want to look like you have made an effort for an important meeting – classy, understated but definitely wearing a lip colour that shows confidence with colour without dominating the face. The colour is described as ‘Sheer Plum’ but it really doesn’t do it justice. We say this has hints of mauve and chocolate on a base of dusky rose. Eminently wearable and probably my favourite when, as I say, I want to look groomed and polished. This fades down to a beautiful rose tint. So natural that you just look as though you have perfect lips. And that is quite a statement!
- Boundless – if you love the colour ‘Beauty’ in the classic lipgloss range, then this is the colour for you. A high school, girl next door fresh pink with that hint of peach that moves it slightly to coral. A very pretty, natural look with a sheer tint of peachy glow
- Infinite – this is innocence personified without being immature. A really lovely pure gossamer sheen, with the slightest hint of pink and the slightest hint of peach giving a soft shimmer shade which is nude without being in anyway flat or fleshy. A simply gorgeous, understated lip look with a hint of silver. Very… very…. pretty
- Forever – quite simply the most perfect, pale pink gloss…. shot through with silver shimmer. Your lips but prettier and pinker and an utterly charming colour. Weddings, brides, bridesmaids, beach, shopping, sightseeing, cocktails, dinner, watching the sun go down over a beautiful vista, in a strappy frock and a tan… you name it (and I think I just did ) this lipgloss will do it all and more!
And talking of weddings, this really is the perfect gloss for brides – utterly pretty (in any colour) and this will see you through the ceremony and photos easy peasy.
Smashbox have created a winner here – watch this space for beauty awards – they will be coming I am sure!